Can partitions span more than one drive?

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Wed Aug 26 12:45:52 UTC 2009

Now that I've got my rsnapshot backup server working beautifully,
backing up several servers to a central backup server (I like this a
lot), I have a problem...

I built my backup server from a machine I had lying around. It has
two 140G hard drives. I dedicated one drive to a /backup partition.
Unfortunately, that is now running at 88% capacity... i.e., only 16G
left...

Now that I know this approach is going to work, I'm going to run out
and buy a big drive.

Question: is it possible to just expand my existing /backup partition
to encompass both the current drive and the new drive? I'm guessing
not, since Chapter 8 in "Absolute FreeBSD" says that a partition is
part of a slice, which is part of a physical drive, but maybe some
bright person has come up with an app that overcomes that limitation.

Thanks: John