IBM Stinkpad and Wifi

herbert langhans herbert.raimund at gmx.net
Tue Aug 25 17:46:56 UTC 2009

Hi Daemons,
I have some troubles to get connected to an open Wifi-Net.

Its an older IBM Stinkpad 600 and I bought a new PCMCIA-card for it.
Chipset of the card is from Atheros, this is recommended by the FreeBSD
Handbook.

I boot the Laptop, the drivers seem to be compiled in the generic
Kernel. Booting shows something like:
ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xff9f0000-0xff9fffff irq 17 at device 2.0 on
pci2
ath0: Ethernet address: 00:11:95:d5:43:62
ath0: mac 7.9 phy 4.5 radio 5.6

Good. Then I try:
# ifconfig ath0 up scan
#
(I tried this in a cool café, with cool people there and a cool open
access point..)

Nothing. There should be a list of the available access points.
Is that right?
Something I missed with the setup?

I tried:
#kldload wlan_wep.ko
#kldload wlan_ccmp.ko
#kldload wlan_tkip.ko

..and BSD 7.2, a very recent version, tells me that these files already exist (so the kernel took
already care of it).

What am I doing wrong??
All ideas appreciated!
Thanks