hard disk failure - now what?

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 21:32:06 UTC 2009

On 8/24/09, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:51:41 -0600, Tim Judd <tajudd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's OS/FS independent.  it works on the bits stored on the magnetic
>> platters, NOT on a filesystem.
>
> Ah, I see. So it's primarily intended for diagnosing and recovering
> from physically defective disks. Good to know, because there are
> times when you exactly need to do this. So it's much more "hardware
> oriented" than the usual candidates for recovery programs.
>
> So the strange mentioning of "Linux and other file systems" just
> seems to be of a marketing nature. :-)

whatever you would like to call it, I find it accurate description of
the product and it avoids false advertising.

Not just diagnostics and recovery, it's for preventive maintenance,
and healthy operations too.  Most people who use it are in a
diagnostics and recovery, but if you always use it as preventive
maintenance, you'll never need to use it for diagnostics and recovery.

People complain about it: "I keep running spinrite, but it never finds
problems!" .... exactly, it's doing it's job and not having to
recover.  It's doing the work the drive needs to swap out bad sectors
and everything.