Serial console trouble: loader and login works, but no kernel messages

Thomas Backman serenity at exscape.org
Mon Aug 24 08:17:14 UTC 2009

On Aug 23, 2009, at 23:18, Carl Chave wrote:

> Did you try booting with the keyboard disconnected from the FreeBSD
> machine?  Perhaps the vidconsole is favored when a keyboard is
> detected?
>
> On a linux box I had, I would get serial output from Grub, lose it
> during kernel load and then get a login once the OS was up, much like
> what you describe.  I had to add a kernel argument to my Grub config
> so the kernel would output to the serial port.
>
> Did you look here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/console-server/freebsd.html
>
> I think 7.2 might be what you are missing but I can't check it myself.
>
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Thomas
> Backman<serenity at exscape.org> wrote:

>>> Do you use the VGA/vidconsole at all?
>>>
>>> A serial-only device (think soekris, ALIX/WRAP boards) that has no
>>> VGA
>>> will have different requirements than a serial-only device will.
>>>
>>> Your loader.conf statements are different than mine in the
>>> definition
>>> that you have more than I do to enable serial.
>>>
>>> My loader.conf just has one statement:
>>>  console="comconsole"  - to feed ALL bootloaders, kernel probing, rc
>>> startup on the serial device.  /etc/ttys defines the login lines.
>>>
>>> Though trial and error, I found when you use a dual-setup:
>>> "comconsole,vidconsole", the first one (comconsole) will get rc
>>> output, and vidconsole won't.
>>>
>>> Of course, you're on 8.0 and I don't run BETAs.  So the 8.0 BETA
>>> might
>>> still be having com port oddities, plus I noticed your ttys line is
>>> ttyu0, not ttyd0.  Did 8.0 change the serial line device?
>>>

>>> To enable a serial-only device in my setups:
>>> /boot/loader.conf:
>>>  console="comconsole"
>>>
>>> /boot.config:
>>>  -D
>>>
>>> /etc/ttys:
>>> # enable serial line, cons25 or vt100, depending if I'm originating
>>> from a bsd or windows box.
>>>

>>> Enabling dual-setups should be just the loader.conf change to dual
>>> console.
>>>

>>> HTH
>>

>> (Sorry for the lack of inline replies.)
>>
>> I do have a graphics card, and ideally I'd like to be able to use
>> both, but
>> serial has higher priority (with serial access, I can use minicom
>> on another
>> *nix box and essentially ssh into DDB, and stuff like that - right
>> now I
>> have to borrow a monitor, and write info down manually if needed,
>> turning my
>> head back and forth).
>>
>> I've tried lots of combinations of console=, including simply
>> 'console="comconsole"' and/or combinations of that and -D, -h- -Dh
>> and -P in
>> /boot.config.
>> The extra lines in loader.conf are from the handbook, which says
>> they're
>> needed to use comconsole_speed. It seems they do the same thing as -
> [...]

Yes, I tried without the keyboard (with -P in boot.config), but
apparently it detects the keyboard no matter what (it prints out
"Keyboard: yes" even though I yanked the power, then the keyboard, and
then started it up again).

The article appears to be (even according to itself ;) a shortened
version of the handbook ( http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html
  ), which doesn't work out for me, I'm afraid.

I'm Cc:ing this to the -CURRENT list in case it's something related to
new changes.

BTW, 9600 bps didn't help. Same thing, only slower.

Regards,
Thomas