what www perl script is running?

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Mon Aug 24 08:02:49 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I noticed this morning that a perl script was using a lot of CPU time on
my FreeBSD webserver. By the time I killed it, it had run up 400 mins of
system time according to top.

However, simply killing 'perl5.8.9' didn't accomplish much, it was back
running again moments later. I then rebooted. Once again it is running.

According to top, the owner of the process is 'www', which would be
lighttpd. So, it appears that lightthp is persistently spawning a perl
script.But which one? I don't use perl much, but I do have it enabled in
lighttp:

[...]

)

server.modules  = (
"mod_access",
"mod_simple_vhost",
"mod_accesslog",
"mod_cgi",
"mod_rewrite",
"mod_auth",
"mod_fastcgi",
"mod_redirect"
)

static-file.exclude-extensions = ( ".fcgi", ".php", ".rb", "~", ".inc" )

cgi.assign = (
     ".pl"  => "/usr/bin/perl",
     ".cgi" => "/usr/local/bin/python",
     ".py" => "/usr/local/bin/python",
     ".sh" => "/usr/local/bin/bash"
)

[...]

Is there a command like fuser or lsof which can be used to determine
what files this perl instance is using? Any other ideas on how to figure
out what is going on here?

Thanks.

uname:
FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE  i386