installation sequence

Lane Holcombe lane at cd-solutions.net
Fri Aug 21 00:05:09 UTC 2009

I'm all over this!

Here's what you do:  Setup for yourself a local cvs repository like so:

portinstall -Pp net/cvsup-mirror

You have to make decisions about what to mirror, but in the end you will
have a semi-authoritative mirror of all the source and ports for the
whole dang FreeBSD development tree, that will maintain itself and be
ready when you need it.

Next, when ever you do a fresh install of "FreeBSD whatever," the first
thing you do after the install is update your source and ports try by
creating a cvsupfile, (I always keep one in /usr/local/etc/cvsupfile)
like this:

<begin cvsupfile>
*default host=<IP.OF.YOUR.LOCAL.CVS.MIRROR>
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix tag=RELENG_7
*default compress
src-all
src-contrib
ports-all tag=.
</end cvsupfile>

Note that the <begin> and </end> tags are put in the email for clarity,
but should NOT appear in your cvsup file.  I think src-contrib is
overkill, but I've not bothered to find out because I'm pretty lazy.

Note, also that RELENG_7 is just what I'm using now.  You should adjust
to the "FreeBSD whatever" that you just installed.

So after you put the cvsupfile in place, run this on your new install:

csup -g -L2 /path/to/cvsupfile

Note, again, that csup does *not* get installed with *base before like
6.3 or something ... can't remember which.   Did I mention lazy?  If you
are going back that far you have to install csup from ports or install
cvsup from ports.  (Which may likely put you back at square one where
you have to work through the build failures - it ain't perfect, but it's
nearly there!)

Anyway, the point is you should always, always, always update your ports
tree after a new install so you don't have build failures to stump you.

And  you still might get those :)

So you should consider REBUILDING WORLD immediately after you do a new
install.  And THEN build/install whatever ports you need ...

Good Luck!

lane