Flash10 with 8.0-BETA2 and Firefox 3.5.2

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Aug 20 13:02:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Marc Fonvieille wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 06:12:23AM -0600, Warren Block wrote:

>>> I think you ran nspluginwrapper as root. If you run it as a normal
>>> user it puts the wrapped plugin in ~/.mozilla/plugins where Firefox
>>> picks it up. If you run it as root it puts it in
>>> /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins. Firefox 2.x and some other browsers
>>> scan this directory, but newer versions don't for some reason. You have
>>> to create a symlink in /usr/local/lib/firefox3/plugins/ to the
>>> npwrapper plugin in /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/
>>
>> That works!
>>
>> I had first run nspluginwrapper -a -i as normal user, then as root.
>>

> The Handbook says:
>
> --
> Once the right Flash port, according to the FreeBSD version you run, is
> installed, the plugin must be installed by each user with
> nspluginwrapper:
>
> % nspluginwrapper -v -a -i
> --
>
> So you should not run it as root.

Let me clarify: I did not run it as root until after it didn't work as a
normal user.  Or at least I thought I didn't.

Now, having removed the link in /usr/local/lib/firefox3/plugins and
making sure that npwrapper.libflashplayer.so was not present in
/usr/local/lib/browser_plugins, nspluginwrapper and Flash as a normal
user works.