Desktop Install Option

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Aug 19 14:37:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 01:54:51AM -0400, Sabeeh Baig wrote:

> So, I've been wondering about something.  FreeBSD is a general purpose
> operating system, even though it has historically only heavily been used on
> servers.  Why is it that FreeBSD doesn't provide a desktop installation,
> something similar to say Debian's option of "Standard Desktop"?  For those
> who need it, it'd be great.

Really, all the desktop options you get on Linux are available
for FreeBSD.    KDE and Gnome are the main things and many people
install one of them to make a desktop environment.   The main difference
with FreeBSD over Lunix is that Linux sort of forces it on you and
FreeBSD gives you a choice.   That means you have to click one more
thing during installation to get that stuff installed.   But, if you
are doing a server, you don't have to spend an extra hour or two
getting rid of all the bloat you don't need or want like on some
other systems.

To add to that, some people have packaged desktop versions of FreeBSD
with all those gui extras already included just to make you happy.
Probably someone else will post their favorites with links.

////jerry