Packages available for different FreeBSD versions

Chris Stankevitz cstankevitz at toyon.com
Mon Aug 17 22:09:07 UTC 2009

Chuck,

Thank you for your help.  I have two questions:

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Ports are not branched-- there is no STABLE or CURRENT for ports.  The
> same ports tree can be used on 6.x, 7.x, and 8-CURRENT.

1. With what is the STABLE/CURRENT tag associated?
a) "core operating system version number"
b) the ports collection
c) something else

>> What are the repercussions of never updating the "core operating
>> system version number"?
>
> Well, you'll miss ongoing security updates and improvements to the
> system.

2. I thought security updates and improvements to the system would
arrive via the ports mechanism.  What kinds of things are not updated
via ports?  (My experience is with Gentoo where everything is updated
via portage and there is no "core operating system version number").

Thanks again,

Chris