please help to uninstall FreeBSD!!!

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Mon Aug 17 10:49:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 06:18:45PM +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> On 17 August 2009 pm 18:09:06 cpghost wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:25:29AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> > > By the way, where did I read that #define macro names have to
> > > be unique within the first 6 (six) letters? :-)
> >
> > The 6 letters limit was actually a restriction of earlier
> > linkers and it affected all identifiers of linkable objects
>
> I did not know that linkers resolved macros those days.

Of course they didn't. But knowing that linkers restricted the
identifiers' length to 6 chars, it made sense for preprocessors
to restrict them as well before passing them to the compiler
and linker.

Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that, but the basic
restriction came from the linkers, the preprocessors only inherited
it.

> Interesting.
>
> Erich

Regards,