location of user crontab files?

Karl Vogel vogelke+unix at pobox.com
Wed Aug 12 17:51:48 UTC 2009

>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 07:21:08PM -0400, Karl Vogel typed:

K> If you're using individual crontab files, be sure to rename /etc/crontab
K> or you might have duplicated cronjobs running simultaneously.

>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:31:14 +0200, Ruben de Groot <mail25 at bzerk.org>
>> said:

R> I don't think this is sound advise. Leaving /etc/crontab (the system
R> crontab) to do the system maintenance jobs it is supposed to do and
R> putting additional scripts and jobs in user tabs is normal practice and
R> won't cause any problems.

   I don't like keeping similar information in multiple places (especially
   in different formats) because you have to access it in different ways.
   If I change my own crontab file using "crontab -e", I want to do root's
   the same way; it's just one less exception for me to remember.

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company

The idea that 'the public interest' supersedes private interests and rights
can have but one meaning: that the interests and rights of some individuals
take precedence over the interests and rights of others.          --Ayn Rand