A question for developers

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed Aug 12 00:41:02 UTC 2009

Steve Bertrand wrote:

> I'm looking for a new editor.

Well, after a two week hiatus from technology, I'm back at work
(actually, considering I build a large new deck, being back at work is
more of a holiday than being on holidays :)

Although it was recommended that I give both Emacs and Vi(m) a try to
see which one I prefer, I'm forgoing that, and just sticking with Vim as
I can just sense that it suits me.

I don't know if this is a Vi or FreeBSD question, so I'll ask here first.

In the vim tutor, it is quoted:

" NOTE: The letter  d  will appear on the last line of the screen as you
type it.  Vim is waiting for you to type  w . If you see another
character than  d  you typed something wrong; press  <ESC>  and start
over. "

...however, my terminal emulators (Putty, Poderosa) never display
anything at the bottom of the screen when I type a command that requires
additional input.

Am I reading this wrong, or could my emulator be chopping off some of my
display (using commands followed by ":" always appear).

Having the "d" displayed is largely irrelevant as I can always sense
when I've mistyped a char, but may be handy until I become more fluent,
as my first instinct is to hit the BACKSPACE key.

Is "d" supposed to show up prior to sending it another command?

Thanks again for the great feedback and references!

Steve