Don't let mergemaster beat you down [was Re: Failed update]

Wayne Sierke ws at au.dyndns.ws
Tue Aug 11 06:34:37 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 08:34 -0700, Richard Mahlerwein wrote:
> I'm redoing the whole process in single user mode.  My guess is I
> goofed something during mergemaster and devd.conf is messed up.
> (Mergemaster is, undeniably, my least favorite utility).

I lost practically all of my 'mergemaster pain' when I adopted the habit
of using it with -iUP options:

        -i	Automatically install any files that do not exist in the des-
                tination directory.
        -P	Preserve files that you replace in
                /var/tmp/mergemaster/preserved-files-<date>, or another
                directory you specify in your mergemaster rc file.
        -U	Attempt to auto upgrade files that have not been user modi-
                fied.

"Try it - you'll like it!"

Wayne