filesystem size after newfs

Naeem Afzal nafzal at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 10 23:07:06 UTC 2009

    I created this small partition of 512K bytes on disk, I am noticing about 24% is used up before system can be mounted and used. My assumption was about 4% is supposed to be used if minfree is set to 0.

    #newfs -U -l -m 0 -n -o space /dev/ad1d
    /dev/ad1d: 0.5MB (1024 sectors) block size 16384, fragment size 2048 using 1 cylinder groups of 0.50MB, 32 blks, 64 inodes with soft updates
    super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
    160
    #mount /dev/ad1d /test
    #df -H /test
    Filesystem    Size    Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
    /dev/ad1d      391k    2.0k    389k    1%    /test
    Could someone explain where the 512-391=121K of disk space went to? What is the relation between this used of space and total paritition size or is it some fixed ratio?
    Thanks & Regards
    Naeem