vsftpd with ssl

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Mon Aug 10 20:14:35 UTC 2009

On Monday 10 August 2009 10:59:34 Stefan Miklosovic wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am installing vsftpd server with ssl.
> It seems it works good, BUT
>
> *~:*ftp-tls notebook
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> 220 Welcome to miniBSD service.
> 234 Proceed with negotiation.
> [Starting SSL/TLS negotiation...]
> WARNING: Server's certificate issuer's certificate isn't available locally.

This is an ftp-tls error, not vsftpd. It took some searching through OpenSSL
sources, cause half of the manpages aren't available, but the certificate
should be in /etc/ssl on the connecting machine.

The error above is the same as described in the verify(1) manpage for OpenSSL:
 2 X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_GET_ISSUER_CERT: unable to get issuer certifi-
       cate
      the issuer certificate could not be found: this occurs if the
      issuer certificate of an untrusted certificate cannot be found.

The verify(1) manpage also describes how to store your trusted certificates in
there, though it doesn't contain too much info.
Perhaps this guide will help you:
http://gagravarr.org/writing/openssl-certs/others.shtml#ca-openssl
--
Mel