Network bridge, but assigned IP address

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Aug 9 08:47:01 UTC 2009

Nerius Landys wrote:
> I am creating a simple network bridge (as described in
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-bridging.html)
> which consists of 5 network interface cards.  Function-wise, it's
> basically acting as a switch.  However, I want to assign an IP address
> to the machine with the 5 NICs.
>
> So far without the bridge everything is working perfectly, and my
> /etc/rc.conf looks like this:
>
> gateway_enable="YES"
> hostname="speedy.i"
> ifconfig_fxp4="DHCP"
> ifconfig_em0="inet 192.168.0.254  netmask 255.255.255.0"

You should remove this ifconfig_em0 setting ...

> And I have a NAT (using pf) to allow the 192.168.0.x hosts to directly
> reach the outside internet.  fxp4 is the external network card.  My
> other network cards that I want to make part of the internal network
> (acting as a switch) are fxp0 through fxp3.  So I'm not sure what to
> do with my rc.conf.  In the handbook it says to add these lines:
>
> cloned_interfaces="bridge0"
> ifconfig_bridge0="addm em0 addm fxp0 addm fxp1 addm fxp2 addm fxp3 up"
> ifconfig_fxp0="up"
> ifconfig_fxp1="up"
> ifconfig_fxp2="up"
> ifconfig_fxp3="up"
> ifconfig_em0="up"

... and then add all of these lines to the rest of the existing rc.conf

> How should I intermingle these lines with my existing rc.conf, and/or
> which lines should I remove?  I want em0, fxp0, fxp1, fxp2, and fxp3
> to be a bridge and be assigned the IP address 192.168.0.254.

To give the whole ensemble an IP address, simply set the IP on the bridge0
interface.  I think you can do it most easily by adding this line,

ipv4_addrs_bridge0="192.168.0.254/24"

but in case that doesn't work correctly, just extend the ifconfig_bridge0
setting:

ifconfig_bridge0="addm em0 addm fxp0 addm fxp1 addm fxp2 addm fxp3 inet 192.168.0.254  netmask 255.255.255.0 up"

See the section on network_interfaces in rc.conf(5) for more detail and
some other possibilities.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3