Boot failure

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 8 14:12:19 UTC 2009

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 15:38:25 +0200
Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> > > Sadly, I agree.
> <snip>
> > > I'd get to the point of swapping hardware one at a time until it
> > > fixes, or until you exhaust your options.  Have any kind of
> > > support contract with the OEM?
> >
> > I do have a support contract and I'm going to dump this right in
> > their lap. Two machines we bought from them -- pretty expensive
> > ones -- and both have had hardware failures. And they are only a
> > couple of years old. I'm not too happy with them at the moment.
>
> For computers, that is already old these days. At $WORK the Dell
> computers (both desktops and servers AFAIK) that we use are ditched at
> the first problem after the warranty runs out which is after three
> years, I believe.
>
> Roland

Given the concept of: "Planned (?) Obsolescence", that is probably a
wise decision. The problem is that FBSD does not always either partially
or fully support new hardware. Updating in such a scenario should
therefore be undertaken with extreme care. For example, nVidia cards
with 64 bit drivers are not supported in FBSD. Personally, I love nVidia
cards; however, this problem has caused me to put off updating my
systems temporarily. However, if this problem is not rectified soon, I
might have to consider a different OS. Considering that nVidia is
already shipping drivers for Win7, both 32 & 64 bit, the fact that they
are not supported in FBSD is rather pathetic.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

Most people in this society who aren't actively mad are,
at best, reformed or potential lunatics.

	Susan Sontag