Fwd: Boot failure

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 21:39:48 UTC 2009

On 8/7/09, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Looks like your hardware is dying/dead.

Sadly, I agree.

Reset BIOS CMOS data (hardware jumper on motherboard)
Enter RAID controller BIOS, (re)set your "boot drive"

But it looks like a fundamental BIOS control issue is malfunctioning.

Do you have a PCI Diagnostics card?  One like the following?

http://www.uxd.com/phdpci.shtml

(I'm not saying that exact model, but rather a device that is able to
see BIOS codes through the PCI bus that can tell very technical detail
to tech support at the motherboard's vendor (you said Intel, right?).)

Hardware rarely up and dies.  Have you tried swapping RAM chips out,
or re-ordering them to see if it might be a RAM problem?

Maybe we're not passing POST, or that we're passing POST but the
bootable device list is not finding bootable medium.

These kind of issues intrigue me, because it is out of the norm, and
why did it happen.

I'd get to the point of swapping hardware one at a time until it
fixes, or until you exhaust your options.  Have any kind of support
contract with the OEM?

--Tim