Boot failure

Identry jalmberg at identry.com
Fri Aug 7 20:18:33 UTC 2009

>> > I think you should start by reading the manual pages for fsck and
>> > fsck_ffs. I would start with 'fsck_ffs -fp /dev/yourdevicenode'.

Okay, back in the data center. I ran fsck_ffs -fp on my root file
system and it returned with no errors. It just printed some
information about number of files, used, free space, etc., ending with
the interesting fact of .3% fragmentation.

Then I reran it without the -fp and it printed Phase 1 - Phase 5, no
errors, and again some info on the files.

So, it looks like there is nothing wrong with the root partition.
Which again raises the question, why won't it mount during the boot
process?

I'm going to try booting with verbose logging and see what that last
line printed is...

-- John