Boot failure

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Aug 7 17:04:32 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 12:26:10PM -0400, Identry wrote:
> >> Should I use any flags? Should I mount the filesystems read write or read only?
> >
> > You should never fsck a filesystem when its mounted!
>
> Ah... glad I asked.

Actually it is only when a filesystem is mounted read-write that you must
not run fsck on it.
Running it on a filesystem which is mounted read-only should be OK.
(Otherwise we would all be in a lot of trouble since when fsck is run
normally during the startup sequence the root filesystem (/) is mounted
read-only, and is in fact where the fsck binary is loaded from.)