Boot failure

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 7 15:40:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 11:25:48AM -0400, Identry wrote:
> >> So I guess the question now is, if I can mount it manually, why
> >> doesn't it mount during the boot process?
> >>
> > I'd give it an fsck or two (more than one has been needed once or
> > twice)
>
> So I've been thinking about how to run fsck...
>
> At the moment, I have to boot from an install cd, go into fixit mode,
> and mount filesystems by hand. I am mounting them to a mount point
> like /mnt/root and /mnt/home, etc.
>
> Do I just do a command like:
>
> fsck /mnt/root
>
> Should I use any flags? Should I mount the filesystems read write or read only?

You should never fsck a filesystem when its mounted!

I think you should start by reading the manual pages for fsck and
fsck_ffs. I would start with 'fsck_ffs -fp /dev/yourdevicenode'.

If this command quits with errors, you might try fsck_ffs without flags,
or 'fsck_ffs -y' to have it try and repair all damage that it finds.

Roland