foot-shot?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Aug 7 00:25:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 12:14:15AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 19:51:00 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> > 	Been thinking over what someone said recently about restricting or
> > 	dropping further ports.  BSD is the best opensource system around.  But
> > 	keeping everything current is painful.
>
> If you're not running a public or mission critical server - then
> don't do it. I've used a 5.4 installation for many years without
> any problems, and without the need to update something. But I'm
> crazy anyway. :-)

	well, thought.org is public, but i just have the basics.
	it is a Server, period.

> > Does anybody know if PCBSD is as
> > 	pushbutton as, say, Ubuntu is?
>
> Quite. You won't have major problems because English already is
> your native language. If you're comfortable with KDE and will be
> using the PBI installer (read: "Push Button Installer"), it can
> be a fine system. Even OS updates are distributed in PBI format.

	Super!  just offhand, can i install PCSD *over* thius FBSd
	--7.1--? Keep /usr/home and so on?  Or is PCBSD a
	do-it-from-scratch?  (I'm pretty much OS agnostic [[so long
	as it's somethng like UNIX]], but here I know where things
	live...   With ubuntu, diff't story.)

> > I'll always use FreeBSD on my DNS,
> > 	apache22, and mail server side.  Zero crashes in 7 years.  But if I want
> > 	to play music or watch a DVD--or do serious web video stuff--I use Ubuntu.
>
> "Serious web video stuff" - how many contradictions does this
> statement include? :-) No, seriously: Especially if you rely on
> "Flash", Linux doesn't seem to be as... well... problematic? as
> FreeBSD.

	hm, not sure how much flash is used, really.  i just avoid as
	much of it as I can.  if i can  watch a public broadcasting
	stream i usually KVM over to my Ubntu box.  ....mmmm.
	Hope the just-works PCBSD just-works here.

> > 	I'd like to say kilowatts by having one "tao" that can handle everything
> > 	from hacking code to playing a movie.
>
> That's FreeBSD to me since 4.0, but I have to admit that my needs
> haven't yet grown to all the "modern web media" stuff...

	i am not that into the-tube... but for science broadcasts,
	yep.  especially things i've missed and are somewhere online.

	thanks for the datapoints!

	gary

    The 5.67a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php