FreeBSD for the common man(or woman) (was: > upgrade 7.2

Neal Hogan nealhogan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 22:56:59 UTC 2009

>> How do you expect to get comfortable w/out "playing
>> around," other
>> than, I guess (a'la above) reading the documentation?
>>

> Put another way: I want a reliable, backed-up file-server before playing around on my "workstation" that would be a separate computer.
>
> I want to build myself a "sand-box" so I don't have to worry about breaking stuff that is unrelated.
>
> Another way of asking the question:
>
> How much of a learning curve is configuring FreeBSD (for Samba, NFS, DVD burning (backups) expected to be? Am I reading too much because of a learning disability, or do I really need to read and understand that much detail?
>
> I have some experience with Dos/Windows, and Linux (mainly Debian based).

I'm still a bit dumb-founded, because I'm not sure what an answer to
that question would look like and how one could formulate a "decent"
answer. I wonder if installing fBSD on a "sand-box" partition/machine
and just build sand castles until you're comfortable is the best way
to go.

If your looking for someone (i.e., one or three folks) to say, "Oh,
fBSD is very intuitive and if you know M$, then the migration should
be a breeze!" Good luck!

In fact, how would you treat any answer that you got to your question.
I think you should just try it (I suspect having a linux background
will help).