find question

Mike Bristow mike at urgle.com
Wed Aug 5 02:54:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 08:49:17PM -0500, Gary Gatten wrote:
> Ah yes, I do remember now. Plus, for once the syntax is almost self explanatory. So, did the OPs question get answered?

Yes.  But to be clear, one of the lines in the input file is blank,
which means that find is run as

find -type f

which is incorrect; it will be treated as "run find with the -t,
-y, -p, and -e flags in the directory f".

(find's  syntax is:

 find [ optional flags ] [ required places to search ]
      [ optional rules to filter out the things you dont want]

By having the places-to-search variable be blank, the shell doesn't
pass anythin to find, causing the optional rules to be interpreted
as the optional flags - and the syntax isn't correct.

--
:wq