ZFS Boot Support from Installer

Tim Gustafson tjg at soe.ucsc.edu
Wed Aug 5 00:01:08 UTC 2009

> I wouldn't recommend using zfs at all right now, unless you want
> random crashes and lots of missing data.. ESPECIALLY in 8.0,1,2
> versions.

I'm using 7.2 at the moment with a standard UFS2 boot partition and a 500GB ZFS pool.  My ZFS pool actually seems pretty stable.  I did a "make -j 16 buildworld buildkernel installkernel installworld" using it as my /usr/src and /usr/obj and it performed beautifully.

At the time I did that, it was configured as just a RAIDZ.  I've since changed that to RAIDZ2, but I haven't beaten it up yet, so I don't know if there's a difference between the stability of RAIDZ and RAIDZ2.

Tim Gustafson
Baskin School of Engineering
UC Santa Cruz
tjg at soe.ucsc.edu