cvs tag usage

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 4 18:32:20 UTC 2009

David Southwell wrote:

> I am confused about the usage of the tag for src.
>
> I took a look at the web pages and found the following choices:
>
> _7_BP
> _7_2_BP
> _7_2_0_RELEASE
> _7_2
>
> But could not find anything that told me where -p2 fits into this!!
>

> # uname -a
>
> 7.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p2 #0: Wed Jun 24 00:14:35 UTC 2009
> root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> To synchronize src do I use:
>
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7_2
> will this automatically track the latest version in 7_2  and therefore
> keep track with 7.2-RELEASE-p2 or later??

Yes. RELENG_7_2 is the security patched update of Release. The -p2 means
there have been two security patches applied to the source code. The actual
release (RELENG_7_2_0_RELEASE) is static and will never change. The only
thing that changes with _7_2 is the addition/inclusion of the patches you
see in the security announcements.

-Mike