Sendmail Masqurading and root mails

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Aug 4 01:01:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:11:28 +1000, Danny Carroll <fbsd at dannysplace.net> wrote:
> Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>> I found the answer to your problem here:
>>
>>  http://www.grok.org.uk/docs/smroot.html
>>
>> The file that is being included which has the
>>
>>   EXPOSED_USER(`root')
>>
>> line lives at
>>
>>  /usr/share/sendmail/cf/domain/generic.m4
>
> It seems your google-fu is much better than mine.
> Thanks so much for your help.

There are a *lot* of details like this in your system.  It just takes a
bit of experience to look for the ``right option name'' and a bit of
time to read through the file:

    /usr/share/sendmail/cf/README

The part that hints at the default expose option for the `root' user
reads:

: Normally only header addresses are masqueraded.  If you want to
: masquerade the envelope as well, use
:
: 	FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')
:
: There are always users that need to be "exposed" -- that is, their
: internal site name should be displayed instead of the masquerade name.
: Root is an example (which has been "exposed" by default prior to 8.10).
: You can add users to this list using
:
: 	EXPOSED_USER(`usernames')

There's a great amount of information in that README file.  I often find
by re-reading it that there are still details I was missing so far :-)