freebsd-update & userland sources

Tom Mende tmende at optusnet.com.au
Mon Aug 3 02:47:42 UTC 2009

Is there a way to get freebsd-update to keep userland sources up to
date?

I had thought that having src, world and kernel as components in the
freebsd-update.conf file would do this but it doesn't seem to. Do I
just add usr.bin and usr.sbin to the components list in the conf file
and run freebsd-update or is it more complex than this? I have read
the man pages on this but there must be a gap between my english and
how the man pages are written because I'm obviously missing the point
somewhere.

By way of background, I am trying not to use csup / cvsup and like
processes as their past, admittedly incorrect, usage by me, combined
with my incompetent salvage operations, has hosed my systems to the
point of needing to be reinstalled from scratch. I have been using a
combination of portsnap and freebsd-update to keep my 7.2-RELEASE
system up to date and commenced this at about 6.3-RELEASE and have
managed to not hose the system since that time. It now however appears
I need to have userland sources to keep fusefs-kmod up to date.

/usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-kmod>make install clean
===>  fusefs-kmod-0.3.9.p1.20080208_6 requires the userland sources to
be installed. Set SRC_BASE if it is not in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-kmod.

<snip from Makefile>
.if !exists(${SRC_BASE}/sbin/mount)
IGNORE=         requires the userland sources to be installed. Set
SRC_BASE if it is not in /usr/src
.endif
<snip from Makefile>

I have got around this by manually downloading the fusefs-
kmod-0.3.9.p1.20080208_6.tbz, pkg_adding it, and then forcing the
packages that have this pkg as a dependency to portupgrade with the -f
option. Now portupgrade hits this pkg warning message (IGNORE msg)
everytime it runs.

Cheers,

Tom Mende