FreeBSD & IBM Thinkpad - What Model to Choose?

herbert langhans herbert.raimund at gmx.net
Sun Aug 2 09:17:51 UTC 2009

Hi Daemons,
I bet there are FreeBSD-on-Thinkpad users out there. I need some help..

At the moment I search for a laptop, a used model from auction sites, preferably an IBM Thinkpad. There is a huge number of different models, even a Wiki with all the specs. But all the info doesn't help me to decide what model works best for me with FreeBSD. I also have no idea if the BSD drivers work out of the box. No dual boot required - I'll dump the Windows stuff.

The model I search for is a cheap low-end type. Small harddisk is fine too, it even can be slow - I use mostly vim, fluxbox, a few small gtk-ports and even get by with a text browser like lynx.

Otherwise I would really reqire the Thinkpad to be slim and have some kind of low power consumption (this depends on the kind of processor I guess - I have no clue what processor is a good choice). And an opportunity to use a PCMCIA-Card for a Wifi connection (and drivers for them!).

Do you have any good/bad experiences with certain IBM Thinkpads?
Is there any special model (line) I should look for?
Are there any options I should look for or avoid (no BSD drivers available i.e)?

Thanks for your time!
herb langhans