AP#1 on Phy#1 : The reason on my system

Manish Jain invalid.pointer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 00:11:18 UTC 2009

Hi,

A long time back, I had reported getting AP#1 on Phy#1 error
messages and boot failure on my amd64 system. After many tests, I am
convinced the problem occurs only if a USB mouse is plugged in at
boot-time.

A few days back, I finally got a USB-to-PS2 converter and hooked my
mouse into a PS2 port, with USB mouse support disabled in the BIOS.
I've never had this problem since then. So it's pretty certain that
the USB mouse was the source of the boot-failures.

Since Windows never had any boot problems with the USB mouse, I
think this might be an issue for the FreeBSD kernel developers.

If this helps anyone or clears any doubts, I can only be glad.

(NB : I also have a report from a friend of mine using amd64 with
debian-5.02 that debian has pretty much the same problem. He has
taken my advice and is now hooking the mouse into the PS/2 port with
good results).

Thank you&
--
Regards
Manish Jain
invalid.pointer at gmail.com
+91-96500-10329

Laast year I kudn't spell Software Engineer. Now I are won.