Chicken and egg

Steven Friedrich StevenFriedrich at InsightBB.com
Wed Apr 29 17:44:41 UTC 2009

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Steven Friedrich <StevenFriedrich at InsightBB.com> writes:
>
>> On a system with cairo installed, try pkg_info -r cairo\*|grep drm
>>
>> Here's from one of my systems:
>> Dependency: libdrm-2.4.9
>
> I did, and don't have that dependency.  I also looked (somewhat quickly,
> admittedly) through the makefiles for a way it could be optionally
> produced, and didn't come up with anything.
>
> If you want help, assuming that people are idiots is not going to get
> you very far.  Especially when most of us can't reproduce what you're
> seeing.  Perhaps you have an older set of ports?  If you can figure out
> where the dependency came from on your system, it would be a start
> towards other people being able to provide advice.
>
> Good luck.
If I have insulted you, I guess it was with the command line using grep,
I am sorry. I was not my intent to insult you or insinuate that any of
you are idiots. I hold nix people in the highest regard.

I've been running FreeBSD since 1.1.5 (or something like that, it was in
  what I believe was the very first FreeBSD book published). But I must
admit, I'm still struggling to maintain my systems.

For example, I believe that this libdrm dependency that I say cairo has
is because cairo has two configurable options, Glitz and XCB. I have
both selected.  Some ports have config options but I can't find any doc
that tells me what other ports might benefit from them. Perhaps no other
ports can utilize cairo Glitz OpenGL support?  I went to their web site
and read their doc, but that doesn't yield FreeBSD specific info.

I removed all ports, and /usr/local and /var/db/pkg, as suggested by
Manolis.  I updated my ports tree and make fetchindex, but many ports
are failing and I have to go to their directory and make reinstall,
sometimes I also have to make clean.  I think this is caused by the
fetched INDEX being slightly out of date with the tree. I think this
wouldn't happen with portsdb -uU.

I've started with no ports and added xorg and portupgrade. I'm now
installing gnome2. I checked the installed packages with pkg_info and
noticed that cairo is installed and I checked it;s dependencies and
libdrm is there again. I believe this is because of Glitz option.

--

Steven Friedrich
Lexington, KY 40509