release packages and portupgrade

Andrew Gould andrewlylegould at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 13:27:03 UTC 2009

I installed from the FreeBSD 7.2RC2 DVD.  I added packages from the DVD,
from the ftp site using pkg_add and the release directory, and by executing:

portupgrade -NpPrR [package name]

I have not updated the system or ports that were installed from the DVD.

When I tried to install digikam (I'm taking another look at KDE stuff), I
noticed many warning messages that installed packages were of earlier
versions than required.

Does portupgrade install only the version of a package indicated by the
ports version?  Does it look for the latest version at the FreeBSD ftp site?

Thanks,

Andrew