cannot get FreeBSD 7.X to load on HP z400

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Tue Apr 28 23:17:59 UTC 2009

I cannot get FreeBSD 7.X to load on an HP z400.  I have tried 7.1 i386
release, 7.1 amd64 release, 7.2 amd64 RC2, 8.0 amd64 current.

In all versions the loader stops just after the message:
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0

I have tried to simplify the setup of this unit to a single SATA drive, and
a single SATA CD/DVD drive.

I have tried various BIOS settings, turning on and off cores in the CPU,
changing other IO setting, but still the install hangs.

The z400 has the Intel® X58 Express chipset and a 4 core W3520 Xeon
CPU.  This particular unit has 4GB RAM.  If I can get the amd64 version to
load on it, I'd like to run it with more RAM.  But obviously the first
hurdle is getting the OS to boot to sysinstall.

Any help would be appreciated.

         -Derek
         derek at computinginnovations.com

believed to be clean.