bsnmpd vs net-snmp

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Tue Apr 28 06:54:56 UTC 2009

On Monday 27 April 2009 20:19:33 Anton Yuzhaninov wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:28:01 -0400, Maxim Khitrov wrote:
> MK> I'm setting up a firewall and would like to monitor certain system
> MK> parameters like network, cpu, and memory usage. SNMP is an obvious
> MK> choice to do the monitoring and I'm planning to set up rrdtool to
> MK> generate graphs of captured data. The question is what SNMP agent to
> MK> use. I found net-snmp and bsnmpd (which is included in the base
> MK> system). Has anyone here used both implementations, and if so, what
> MK> are the basic differences?
>
> main difference is the set of supported MIBs.
>
> In general net-snmp supports more MIBs than bsnmpd.
>
> E. g. BEGEMOT-PF-MIB supported only by bsnmpd and useful for monitoring
> pf(4), UCD-SNMP-MIB supported only by net-snmp and useful for monitoring
> CPU load (ssCpuRaw* counters).

There is the GoC 2008 project:
% cat /usr/ports/net-mgmt/bsnmp-ucd/pkg-descr
bsnmp-ucd is a module for bsnmpd which allows you to get memory, load
average, cpu utilization and other system statistics. It implements parts
of UCD-SNMP-MIB for this.

WWW: http://bsnmp-ucd.googlecode.com/
Author: Mikolaj Golub <to.my.trociny at gmail.com>

Maybe if more people started testing/using this, it could some day be in base.
--
Mel