Modern FreeBSD Installer?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Apr 27 20:40:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 20:33:46 +0200, beni <beni at brinckman.info> wrote:
> What is wrong with fancy functional ? The two can go together I think.

Show me one example from the PC world.

> For you
> it may not be, but I would like it to be for me. And as to now, I don't have
> any choice : there is no fancy, easy, nice, modern and accessable installer.

You're mixing terminology again. "Modern"... okay, we already stated
that this is depending on defintion. "Accessible"... how accessible
is a GUI installer via a serial line or by a blind user?

> So why don't use a text mode for server and a GUI for desktop ?

Because FreeBSD is for both servers and desktops and mixed
forms, and you cannot determine from the hardware present
what form the user wants to install, or where the form will
develop into.

That's why a choice at a very early stage of the installation
would be needed, and its default should be fail-safe, read:
text mode is default, GUI when ordered.

> Oh so all those desktopusers with Gnome/KDE/... will gladly hear this ! As a
> desktopuser I can't be a professional  who wants a perfectly working system ?
> Thanks.

Terminology again. What do you understand by "professional"?
But let this not be our topic. The point is that many ways
of operating and administrating a system highly depend on
the knowledge, the experience and the intelligency of the
user, as well as on his attitude towards learning things.
PC-BSD and DesktopBSD to the right thing for those "lazy"
guys: Most things are preconfigured and work out of the
box, and when you need configuration changes, there are
GUI tools for it. As long as you're fine with this setting,
you won't have ANY problem.

> Even with pc-bsd not all my hardware is recognized
> now.

That's not PC-BSD's fault.

> But if you want something that works for everyone, I don't think that
> *bsd or linux is something for you.

There is NO thing that works for everyone, a one size fits all
egg-laying wool milk sow; in Germany, we call this "eierlegende
Wollmilchsau", a device (or system) that does everything under
any circumstances, for everyone.

People are different, that's why there are many ways to go for
them to choose from. In the past, I chose DOS for some things,
OS/ES for others, and later on, Linux; today, FreeBSD is my
choice. I can't tell what I will use in the future, because
I don't know my requirements of tomorrow.

Things may change. FreeBSD is an operating system that has
so much potential, and can be used in many different fields
of work (and play, and entertainment, and learning).

One of the reasons it's so versatile is the fact that it runs
on minimum conditions, still offering the whole power. You
run the same OS on a 150 MHz P1 as you run on a 5 million GHz
Uber-server. THAT is modern. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany