mergemaster -U overwriting modified files

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Sun Apr 26 19:50:42 UTC 2009

On Apr 25, 2009, at 5:10 AM, Peter Schuller wrote:

> Unfortunately I recently discovered that it does not seem to do what
> you might expect. For example it nuked my mailer.conf on one machine,
> and my /etc/namedb/named.conf (!!!) on another machine.

Me, too.  I lost exactly those two files during recent updates on two
machines, using -Ui to mergemaster.

After restoring them from back-up, I've added them to the exclude list
in mergemaster.rc as

  IGNORE_FILES='/etc/motd /etc/namedb/named.conf /etc/mail/mailer.conf'

Until I saw your post and the other responses, I had just assumed that
I'd been somehow careless when running mergemaster.  But now it looks
like a bug.  I've been using -Ui for mergemaster for a while now, but
only seem to have experienced this problem recently.

Cheers,

-j