Modern FreeBSD Installer?

Neo [GC] neo at gothic-chat.de
Sun Apr 26 18:11:48 UTC 2009

Just my two cents:

Why a graphical installer? Shure, it looks nice, easy, modern and more
accessable (examples: Mac OS X, Vista), but on the other hand, for me
FreeBSD never was intended to be fancy, but to be functional.

The text mode installer:
- works on every PC, every graphics card, every screen, with serial
console, with ssh, with screenreader
- is easy enough for people who are able to use it after the installation
- doesn't need a mouse to be usable

FreeBSD isn't Linux/OSX/Windows, FreeBSD is not for users who want
eyecandy, FreeBSD is for professinals who want perfectly working
systems, who know how to edit .conf-files, which packages the need and
so on. (at least I think so)

IMHO, the biggest problem with graphical installers is that they just
don't work for everyone. For example, my last attempts to install Ubuntu
Linux stopped when the installer didn't work with my graphics card or
just choosed a mode my TFT didn't support. This was such a bad
experience, I didn't wanted to try it anymore.

Regards,
Neo [GC]