fatal error from /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.linux-apps.mk

William Bulley web at umich.edu
Sun Apr 26 14:14:28 UTC 2009

On Friday I ran the following:

  # cd /usr/local/etc/cvsup
  # csup -L2 ports-supfile
  # csup -L2 doc-supfile
  # csup -L2 stable-supfile   (tag=RELENG_7)

I then rebuilt the world and installed it.  When I rebooted,
I was very pleasantly surprised to find:

  % uname -a
  FreeBSD freebsd 7.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-PRERELEASE #0:
  Fri Apr 24 16:13:56 EDT 2009 [snip] i386

I began the process of rebuilding my all ports on Saturday:

  # pkg_delete -a
  # \rm -rf /usr/ports/*/work

Things progressed fine until I started building any ports
having some dependency on Linux emulation:

  [this is true for /usr/ports/print/acroread8 and 9
   astro/google-earth, multimedia/linux-realplayer,
   www/opera-linuxplugins, etc.]

  # make install clean
  "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.linux-apps.mk", line 72: Malformed conditional
  (${LINUX_DIST_SUFFIX}=="")
  "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.linux-apps.mk", line 130: Malformed conditional
  (${LINUX_DIST_SUFFIX} == "-f8")
  Error expanding embedded variable.

Here are the relevant settings in the indicated files:

   /etc/fstab
   linprocfs   /compat/linux/proc   linprocfs   rw          0  0

   # kldstat
   Id Refs Address    Size     Name
   1   12 0xc0400000 48d204   kernel
   2    1 0xc088e000 6a45c    acpi.ko
   3    1 0xc5403000 7000     linprocfs.ko
   4    1 0xc540f000 22000    linux.ko

   /etc/rc.conf
   linux_enable="YES"

   /etc/make.conf
   OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f9
   OVERRIDE_LINUX_NONBASE_PORTS=f9

   /etc/sysctl.conf
   compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16

I don't know what to do to fix this problem.  I don't
know whether I should submit a pr or try to determine
what is going on myself.  Not sure I would succeed at
the latter.  Please advise.  If more information or
detail is required, let me know.

The next thing I will try is changing /etc/make.conf
to override "f8" instead of "f9"

Regards,

web...

William Bulley                     Email: web at umich.edu

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL
and is for the intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use,
dissemination of the information, or copying of this message
is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee, please
notify the sender immediately, and delete this message.