Banwidth limited to 800kb per connection

Neo [GC] neo at gothic-chat.de
Fri Apr 24 21:40:04 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've ancountered a very strange behaviour. I'm running a server with
FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE, which is connected to a 100mbit-line at some hosting
company.

When downloading files over FTP (proftpd) or HTTP (apache 2.2) I only
get about 800kb/s, uploading seems to have the same limit (couldn't test
it really, as my line stops at abount 860kb/s). When I start multiple
downloads, I get 800kb/s for each transfer, up to about 5000kb/s, which
is the limit of my downstream at home.

Is there some kind of traffic shaping or QOS somewhere?

Before moving to the hosting company, I had the server at home and
transfered several MB per second with a single FTP-transfer (ethernet).

Regards,
Neo [GC]