maybe OT, but involves OOO its slideshow fmt, ``Impress''

Peter Ulrich Kruppa ulrich at pukruppa.net
Fri Apr 24 03:58:05 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag, den 23.04.2009, 14:36 -0700 schrieb Gary Kline:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 05:38:25PM +0200, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 22.04.2009, 00:23 -0700 schrieb Gary Kline:
> > > 	In any case, there are
> > > 	two questions for this list.
> > > 	The first, obviously, is subjective and is:
> > > 	would having my stuff in slideshow fmt gain me a wider readership?
> > Yes. Any sort of attractive presentation will draw more attention to
> > your content than ordinary text without any pictures or animations.
> >
> > > 	The
> > > 	second is:  anybody out there willing to clue me in on this stuff?
> > I have always made very good experiences with technical questions of all
> > kind on this list. Regarding your contents or lay-out and design there
> > probably are better forums.
>

> 	Hm, okay.  WEll, there's not really any layout or design.   I may
> 	want to change the one .jpg file that i created.  Maybe givve the
> 	pages a different background or font, but that's the limitation
> 	of my ``artistic'' abilities.   Sound, music/page might be a
> 	help; I'll need volunteer help with this, and the -questions list
> 	isn't the place to post for that:)
Please do excuse my limited possibilites in the english language:
But the question of design and medium is quite deeply connected with the
kind of content you wish to communicate.
For example:
A slideshow format needs sort of a linear argumentation like this:
	(1)-->(2)-->(3)-->(4)--> ...

HTML permits multiple lines of argumentation and crossreferences like
this
            _->(2a)-->(3a)-->(4a)--> ...
           /
	(1)--->(2b)-->(3b)-->(4b)--> ...
                \           /
                  --->(3c)--
A slideshow is a one-way communication from you to your readers, HTML as
for example used in a wiki allows interaction with your readers
(comments, own contributions,...)

Thus it might not at all be possible to convert HTML to a slide show.
You will have to decide which kind of medium fits your content best.

> 	tHat said: how can I experiement with translating my html into
> 	slideshow format?  If this is a case of RTFM, where is the FM
> 	page website that will get me going.?
When you have decided to use openoffice-impress you can find a first
manual on http://documentation.openoffice.org/

Greetings

Uli.