mail server/webmail

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Apr 23 18:56:56 UTC 2009

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:49:01 -0400, Jon Radel <jon at radel.com> wrote:
> At least one person here, and it may well be me, is somewhat confused.
>
> Outlook <> Outlook Express

Maybe. The original question included no reference to "Outlook"
but "Outlook Express". Forgive me my lack of knowledge, but I've
never used one of these products (as I have not used any product
by MICROS~1).

> Not even close.

I've been told so.

> And while I personally would not pick Outlook Express
> as a POP/IMAP client, it is pretty standards based.  Outlook talking to
> an Exchange server is an entirely different matter.

It wasn't clear what solution the poster initially expected,
but more and more I think IMAP would be the way to go. So
there's not much responsibility on the MICROS~1 side (which
is good). An IMAP system is quite easily set up with FreeBSD,
and there have already been good advices which programs to
employ for this purpose. The client on the user's site doesn't
matter much, as long as it does the IMAP communications.

> At least that was the lay of the land the last time I was forced to pay
> close attention to Microsoft e-mail clients.

As I said, I never payed any attention to them, because I
don't consider them mail clients, but a bad excuse for not
being one. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany