filesystem compatibility

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Apr 23 18:11:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 11:37:29 -0600, Tim Judd <tajudd at gmail.com> wrote:
> MS-DOS FAT32

Ugh. :-)

> Severely limited, but that is as close to as a universal filesystem as you
> can get.

Among BSDs, UFS / FFS should work. To get rid of the many
limitations in the MS-DOS file system, tar is really the
best solution. (I know this from interoperability works
with many different UNIXes, such as BSDs, Solaris, IRIX
and Mac OS X - even Linux can handle it without problems.)
And it is not limited to a subset of media.

I can only say: Avoid MICROS~1 stuff if possible. Not using
it makes you happy afterwards. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany