Modern FreeBSD Installer?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Apr 23 06:25:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:27:39 -0700, Fritz <fkolberg at q.com> wrote:
> As a big fan (and paying subscriber) of FreeBSD it pains
> me to ask this question:  When are you going to build
> a modern installer for FreeBSD?

It has already been done. The modern installer is called "sysinstall".
It covers many actions: It does not only install the operating systen,
it furthermore helps installaing applications and configuring the
system, its services, network settings, security and so on. It can
be used from a serial console, from the text mode, and from an X
terminal. It's very straight forward. For maximum easiness of
operations, it's controlled via the keyboard. As I mentioned, this
can be a local keyboard, or one of a serial terminal (a real
terminal in hardware or a connected terminal emulator). At the
moment, this modern installer is available in the english language,
which is the main communications language of the FreeBSD operating
system. English language is a mandatory language for any serious
IT bizniz, so it's no problem at all.

If you think the FreeBSD installer lacks a specific functionality,
then feel free to report to the mailing list or contact the FreeBSD
developers.

> I looked at the list of projects and didn't see it there ... did
> I miss something?

Obviously. :-)

--
Polytropon