Modern FreeBSD Installer?

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Thu Apr 23 03:25:23 UTC 2009

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2009, at 12:27 PM, Fritz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As a big fan (and paying subscriber)
>
> Interesting-- I wasn't aware that the FreeBSD project had a paid
> subscription model...?
>
>> ...of FreeBSD it pains me to ask this question:  When are you going to
>> build
>> a modern installer for FreeBSD?
>>
>> I looked at the list of projects and didn't see it there ... did
>> I miss something?
>
> If you're asking for an installer which requires bitmapped graphics and
> won't work over a serial terminal or the like, well, I hope the answer
> is never.  Some people have tried before and/or might still be working
> on a replacement, but thus far, nobody has written one which is widely
> regarded as better than sysinstall.
>
> You might find this interesting to read:
>
>   http://people.freebsd.org/~jkh/package-and-install.txt
>
> Regards,
> --
> -Chuck

Aloha,

I have used the text base Sysinstall since 2.* FreeBSD.

It is extremely flexible especially with ports. Keeps your system lean
of code.

Gui installs have a tendency to hide things you need to tweak or alter
to suit a specific need.

I find it fast and efficient the way it is.

Thanks to our faithful coders for all their work.

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* - 8.* +
   < email: noc at hdk5.net >