Modern FreeBSD Installer?

Adam Vandemore amvandemore at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 20:48:50 UTC 2009

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2009, at 12:27 PM, Fritz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As a big fan (and paying subscriber)
>
> Interesting-- I wasn't aware that the FreeBSD project had a paid
> subscription model...?
Indeed, I fear my dues may be late.

>> ...of FreeBSD it pains me to ask this question:  When are you going
>> to build
>> a modern installer for FreeBSD?
>>
>> I looked at the list of projects and didn't see it there ... did
>> I miss something?
>
> If you're asking for an installer which requires bitmapped graphics
> and won't work over a serial terminal or the like, well, I hope the
> answer is never.  Some people have tried before and/or might still be
> working on a replacement, but thus far, nobody has written one which
> is widely regarded as better than sysinstall.
Once upon time, there was a Summer of Code projects set to develop a
graphical installer for FBSD 7.x.  I don't know what happened to it, but
also agree there is no need for such a thing.  Sysinstall may appear
intimidating but it's really quite easy to use once you're used to it.

--
Adam Vandemore
Systems Administrator