"No route to host" when trying to connect to FTP server on the Internet

Adam Vandemore amvandemore at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 20:36:03 UTC 2009

Redd Vinylene wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 21, 2009, at 11:40 AM, Redd Vinylene wrote:
>>

>>> I'm trying to connect to my friend's FTP server but I'm getting a "No
>>> route
>>> to host" when trying from my NAT workstation. It works just fine when I
>>> connect from my NAT server though.
>>>
>>> Internet -> NAT server (192.168.187.1) -> NAT workstation (192.168.187.2)
>>>

>> Presumably you should have a default route set?  (Check netstat -r.)  If
>> not, consider:
>>
>>  route add default 192.168.187.1
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> -Chuck
>>

> Yeah, the default route is set. Routing works just fine. In fact, it's been
> working for years. It's just this one FTP server that it won't connect to.

For awhile I had been dealing with a sort similar issue....see here:

There where other issues with it as well but that was the most
reproducible.  Also sshd didn't work to same remote host either.  I
recently upgraded the server from 6.2 -> 7.1 including updated ports
rebuild.  That fixed every nagging issue with the system including
nat/routing stuff.  My best guess is there was some issues w/ pf in 6.2
as no config files for application got changed including fw rules yet
now it works.

--
Adam Vandemore
Systems Administrator