Dump | Restore

Michael Powell nightrecon at verizon.net
Tue Apr 21 05:26:10 UTC 2009

Tim Judd wrote:

[snip]
> Long story short, BTX is what brings the PC BIOS/CMOS code execution from
> 16-bit real mode, to 32-bit protected mode.
>
> I've had repeated problems with name-brand PCs that result in a BTX
> halted. Whiteboxes/custom builds tend to work the best (and IMHO, last the
> longest).
[snip]

Often the so called "name-brand" PCs have quirky and inferior BIOS, as well
as minor hardware glitches that sometimes get ironed out with subsequent
chipset steppings.

Since these are primarily manufactured and sold for the Windows crowd,
Windows will mask many of these deficiencies. Have problem xyz-1001 with
$mfr model blah and many times the answer is "download $mfr driver revision
so and so". This is where a known small hardware defect can be worked around
in driver code to mask and hide the problem. This is Windows centric and if
you're not using Windows then you're not supported.

-Mike