Can you ACTUALLY print from FreeBSD?

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 00:31:19 UTC 2009

Keith Seyffarth wrote:
>> Googling that shows it to be a file shared with Windows boxes when you're
>> running samba.  I don't know if you set up samba or not, but I would ignore
>> this error for now.  It's likely unrelated to the printing problem that you're
>> having.
>>

> OK. Thanks. I guess. I was kind of hoping that figuring that out might
> be the fix...

>>> yes

>>> currently it's:
>>> cupsd is running as pid 721.
>>>
>>> but I did start cups manually since my last reboot.
>>>

>> Cupsd was started automatically on reboot by the script.  So that part is
>> working fine.
>>

> after rebooting the machine, it's:
> cupsd is not running.
>
> <config info snipped>

This seems to me to be area to focus on.  Have you tried starting if
from cli and seeing if any errors show.  Also check logs etc recompile
cups w/ debugging info if applicable.  I suspect it's not so you may
have to increase the verbosity in a config file somewhere.  It's been
awhile since I printed from FreeBSD, but my last experience was positive
and not nearly as much issue as you're having.  Anyways I suspect
following cupsd not starting to it's end will result in either solving
the issue or at least getting to a point where it's easy to resolve.
You can also try to trace back /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd to see where
it's failing.