Can you ACTUALLY print from FreeBSD?

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Mon Apr 20 19:55:57 UTC 2009

--On Monday, April 20, 2009 14:20:48 -0500 Keith Seyffarth <weif at weif.net>
wrote:

> <snip>
>
>> This makes no sense at all.  DLLs are a Windows version of a library.
>> FreeBSD
>
> That's what I thought.  Here's the line in question:
> D [20/Apr/2009:13:07:46 -0600] [CGI]
> /usr/local/share/cups/drivers/pscript5.dll: No such file or directory

Googling that shows it to be a file shared with Windows boxes when you're
running samba.  I don't know if you set up samba or not, but I would ignore
this error for now.  It's likely unrelated to the printing problem that you're
having.

>> Do you have the startup script:
>> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd ?
>
> yes
>
>> If so, what is the output of /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd status?
>
> currently it's:
> cupsd is running as pid 721.
>
> but I did start cups manually since my last reboot.

Cupsd was started automatically on reboot by the script.  So that part is
working fine.

> $ ls /usr/local/etc/cups/
> classes.conf            cupsd.conf.default      printers.conf
> classes.conf.O          interfaces              printers.conf.O
> command.types           mime.convs              pstoraster.convs
> cups-pdf.conf           mime.convs.N            snmp.conf
> cups-pdf.conf.sample    mime.types              snmp.conf.N
> cupsd.conf              mime.types.N            ssl
> cupsd.conf.O            ppd
>

>> What's the output of this command?
>> # grep -v "#" /usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf
>
> LogLevel debug
> SystemGroup wheel
> Listen localhost:631
> Listen /var/run/cups.sock
> Browsing On
> BrowseOrder allow,deny
> BrowseAllow all
> DefaultAuthType Basic
> <Location />
>   Order allow,deny
> </Location>
> <Location /admin>
>   Encryption Required
>   Order allow,deny
> </Location>
> <Location /admin/conf>
>   AuthType Default
>   Require user @SYSTEM
>   Order allow,deny
> </Location>
> <Policy default>
>   <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job
>   Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription
>   Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications
>   Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job
>   CUPS-Move-Job>
>     Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
>     Order deny,allow
>   </Limit>
>   <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer
>   CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
>     AuthType Default
>     Require user @SYSTEM
>     Order deny,allow
>   </Limit>
>   <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer
>   Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs
>   Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer
>   Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs
>   CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
>     AuthType Default
>     Require user @SYSTEM
>     Order deny,allow
>   </Limit>
>   <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
>     Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
>     Order deny,allow
>   </Limit>
>   <Limit All>
>     Order deny,allow
>   </Limit>
> </Policy>

All of that looks perfectly normal.

>> What's the output of this command?
>> # cat /usr/local/etc/cups/printer.conf
>
> $ cat /usr/local/etc/cups/printers.conf
># Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.3.9
># Written by cupsd on 2009-04-20 12:51
> <DefaultPrinter HP>
> Info HP Officejet 4100
> Location wherever
> DeviceURI usb:/dev/ulpt0
> State Idle
> StateTime 1240253002
> Accepting Yes
> Shared Yes
> JobSheets none none
> QuotaPeriod 0
> PageLimit 0
> KLimit 0
> OpPolicy default
> ErrorPolicy stop-printer
> </Printer>
> <Printer PDFWriter>
> Info Creates PDF files in /var/spool/cups-pdf/
> Location Internal
> DeviceURI cups-pdf:/
> State Idle
> StateTime 1231089826
> Accepting Yes
> Shared Yes
> JobSheets none none
> QuotaPeriod 0
> PageLimit 0
> KLimit 0
> OpPolicy default
> ErrorPolicy stop-printer
> </Printer>
>
>> Have you read the CUPS documentation?
>> http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/overview.html
>
> Most of that, plus the information in the FreeBSD handbook and FAQ,
> and several sites instructions on setting up CUPS, and several pages
> specifically on getting an OfficeJet 4110 working on Unix in general
> or FreeBSD in particular, with or without CUPS, and a bunch of the
> stuff in the online documentation in CUPS (from the Documentation/Help
> tab; which seems to be the same as the documentation from CUPS.org).
>
> It works well for creating .pdf files, but, from what I've seen so far
> (with only one piece of hardware to try to work with), not very well
> for getting a hardcopy directly.

It appears the problem is the printer.  Try changing the perms to 0777 for
testing purposes.  If you're able to print, the problem is permissions.  You'll
have to figure out what permissions you need to get it working.

One person mentioned that you should be using the ugen device instead of
/dev/ultp0.  This thread might be relevant -
http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/forum/read.php?9,546,547

You might have to abandon using cupsd for this printer.

If so, this might be helpful:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2004/07/08/FreeBSD_Basics.html?page=last

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst