Can you ACTUALLY print from FreeBSD?

Glyn Millington glyn at millingtons.org
Mon Apr 20 15:43:06 UTC 2009

Keith Seyffarth <weif at weif.net> writes:

> I'm trying to print from my FreeBSD machine. I've been through a
> number of online tutorials and instructions on printing from Unix or
> FreeBSD in particular, but they all seem to start with the assumption
> that printing from the machine is possible. I'm trying to get to that
> starting point.

A laudable ambition!

> cups-base-1.3.9_3   Common UNIX Printing System
> cups-pdf-2.5.0      A virtual printer for CUPS to produce PDF files
> cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_2 Postscript interpreter for CUPS printing to non-PS printers
> gutenprint-cups-5.1.7_3 GutenPrint Printer Driver
> libgnomecups-0.2.3_1,1 Support library for gnome cups admistration
> hplip-2.8.2_4       Drivers and utilities for HP Printers and All-in-One device

Looks good so far.

> The printer I'm working with is a HP Officejet 4110.

> 1. how can I get permissions on the device to stick, so that I do not
>    have to reboot the machine every time we want to print or have to
>    power cycle the printer?

Wrong file  - add the changes to /etc/devfs.rules

/etc/devfs.conf is for fixed devices - devfs.rules for plug-in stuff.

> 2. Am I correct that the missing .dll (that seems awfully Windows to
>    me) is the problem in getting a filter to print? If so, what do I
>    need to do to install it?

I don't know - try it with the permissions set as above.

> And, actually, a third printing-related issue: How do I get cupsd to
> start on startup? I have these two lines in /etc/rc.conf:\
>
> cupsd_enable="YES" # enable cups printing management

That should be enough to get it running.

> devfs_system_ruleset="system" # something else they say cups needs

in which  case the first line in /etc/devfs.rules should be

[system=10]

that line starts a new ruleset with the name system and the number 10

atb

Glyn